The OHTN Annual Research Conference is a unique opportunity for researchers, health care providers, policy makers and community members to come together to exchange and discuss innovative research that has the greatest potential to improve the health and well-being of people living with and at-risk for HIV in Ontario and Canada.
To support attendance and participation of all stakeholder groups, assistance is available for Ontario residents who have financial limitations that would otherwise exclude them from attending the conference. Please notethat scholarships cannot be guaranteed for all individuals who apply. Levels of scholarship support include:
- Travel and Accommodation Scholarships
Supplements the travel and hotel expenses for Ontario residents living outside of the GTA
- Childcare Scholarships
Subsidizes the cost of childcare
Who can apply for a conference scholarship?
- Residents of Ontario (required)
- People living with HIV/AIDS
- Consumers of community-based HIV/AIDS services and programs
- Frontline volunteers or staff members in community based HIV/AIDS service provider organizations
- Full-time students enrolled in a post-secondary education program in Ontario related to HIV/AIDS
What costs are covered by a conference scholarship?
Conference travel, accommodation and meal costs which are directly associated with Conference attendance are eligible to be covered, with some limitations:
- Lowest available economy air/bus/rail fare (type of travel awarded will be specified in your Scholarship Acceptance email), or car mileage and daily parking at host hotel (you must call the hotel yourself to book your room)
- Local travel to/from airport/train/bus station (via taxi/city bus/subway) (reimbursed with itemized receipt)
- Meals not provided at the Conference: Dinner meals on November 17, 18 and 19 (reimbursed with itemized receipt)
- Accommodation at host hotel (paid by OHTN Master Account) - room, taxes and parking only
- Child care (reimbursed at a maximum rate of $75 per day, upon presentation of a valid receipt)
- Conference registration – all attendees must pay the applicable registration fee
- Business class and first class travel
- Meals provided during the conference
- Hotel incidentals (e.g. Internet and telephone use)
How do I apply?
Scholarship submission opens August 5, 2013. All scholarship applicants are allowed to apply for a scholarship without registering for the conference. To do so, click the button on the registration site that says "Defer Payment." This allows you to wait and see if your scholarship application has been accepted before registering for the conference and paying the registration fee. Please note that you will be notified regarding the status of your scholarship October 11, 2013.
We suggest you take advantage of the early-bird registration discount (register before September 15, 2013). Registration for the conference opens August 1, 2013.
When is the deadline date to apply?
Applications must be received by September 20, 2013.
When will I find out if my application has been approved?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome by October 11, 2013.
If I am awarded a Scholarship, what do I do next?
- RSVP before October 15, 2013: Scholarship acceptances not submitted by October 15, 2013 will be forfeited, and may be awarded to another applicant
- Book your travel before October 25, 2013: read and follow the travel booking instructions provided to you in your scholarship administration page to make your travel arrangements
Travel and Accommodation Arrangements
If your travel is approved for a conference scholarship, recipients will be provided with the contact information for a travel agent and cost guideline to make your own travel arrangements in order to ensure that recipients will not be billed for the travel booking. If your hotel accommodation is approved, you will be asked to contact the hotel to book your room. The OHTN will provide the hotel with a list of scholarship recipients to be billed to the OHTN's master account. If you wish to extend your hotel stay, that will be at your expense.